Tuesday, April 29, 2014

quality time


This past weekend, Uwharrie and I got a chance to join Brad Kee on his SALT trek for about 30 miles through the "missing link" of Transylvania County.


Brad decided to start at Burrell's Ford along the Foothills Trail and hike counter-clockwise to minimize the distance between resupply points. Several friends are meeting him along the way. Still, his 8-day effort kicked off with a 60 mile unsupported stretch.


I met Brad along the Middle Saluda River before we tackled the climb up the Blue Wall. I enjoyed Brad's company as much as the verdant joy of spring along this scenic stretch. Springtime in the Southern Appalachians can't be beat!


I look forward to getting a chance to spend more quality time on the trail in the near future. As I continue to use a production sub 60 fast pack, the more comfortable I become with the pack's ability to replace my weathered and beloved original, which is still usable after 4,000 miles.


It may take some patience to get the ideal custom fit, but the pack feels as good as the original with the added bonus of enhanced visibility. As the daylight waned on a harrowing road walk along US-276 into Brevard, I was thankful for this added feature.


I left Brad after an obligatory stop to Jets Pizza. I encouraged him to try to get more sleep than just the three hours that he had the night before. Brad is a tough dude and even with the minimal support he's got lined up, I think he can be successful. You can follow his trek here.


No comments: