energy in the wind

"A few minutes ago every tree was excited, bowing to the roaring storm, waving, swirling, tossing their branches in glorious enthusiasm like worship. But though to the outer ear these trees are now silent, their songs never cease." -John Muir

I love Muir! What talent he had to take the natural energy of the world and preserve it forever in prose! Today atop Caesars Head State Park, we had an intense storm, complete with wind gusts and hail. And the energy in the atmosphere filled me with deep joy. It was a call of the wild. The wind rushed right into the office, slammed and opened doors, ripped maps from the bulletin board, scattered papers about. It roared: "You can't hide from the POWER!"

A part of me was sucked out into that maelstrom, I'm miles above the earth wondering why the rest of me is not already gone running with the wind deep into the forest. Methinks I should leave soon...

Comments

Lily said…
Hi Matt, It cheered me up some this evening to read your blogs, and I confess, it made me a bit restless for the wild places. :-)