![]() |
| Pie in the Sky |
If the stars happen to align in 2013, that something big will hopefully be a third thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail. It will have been six years since my hike in 2007 and twelve since my hike in 2001. With two months off from my current job, I would take this opportunity to attempt a “self-supported” southbound thru-hike in less than sixty days (37 miles/day).The main purpose of this hike would be to celebrate the challenge of moving fast, light and free along the trail. The “self-supported” guidelines that I would follow are modeled after those of Scott Williamson.
- Walk into and out of resupply towns to purchase or pick up prepacked and mailed supplies.
- Hike as a backpacker, carrying all food and equipment between resupply towns.
- Follow the official AT route, no detours, road walks or alternates of any kind.
- Do not have anyone follow, or provide support in a prearranged manner.
- Do not get into a vehicle for any reason during the attempt.
- Honestly and thoroughly document the attempt.
- Practice Leave-No-Trace ethics.
For those who read my blog, this probably doesn’t come as any real suprise as it has been something I’ve been thinking about (and mentioning from time to time) for a couple of years. It’s still pie in the sky, but I will continue to tweak my gear and itinerary speadsheets with fingers crossed for a summer 2013 launch. Happy New Year and I’ll be sure to keep you guys up to speed!

Comments
Happy New Year!
Best of luck with your hike!