cross florida adventure run

Sunday, April 12: Lily, Uwharrie and I arrive at Anastasia Island in time to watch the evolution of a pastel sky at dawn over the Atlantic Ocean.

Sunrise start, Anastasia Island
Thanks to Lily for drop off (and pick up)! 
I kiss Lily and Uwharre and tell them I'll see them on the other side of the state in three days. The 150-mile journey starts just after 7 am as I run the beach into Anastasia State Park and to and through St. Augustine.

Cross (FL) walker warning
Crossing to St. Augustine 
St. Augustine, founded 1565
Running the rails (to trails) under I-95
Palatka-to-St. Augustine State Trail near Armstrong
I run along a railroad that will become a paved trail from St. Augustine to Palatka. Nearly nine miles are complete. In Hastings, I stop at Subway for lunch, A/C and lots of cold water. Some ten miles later, I break at McDonalds for fries, smoothie and snag a few small packets of salt for the road.

Looking back, St. Johns River crossing into Palatka
Live oak shade
Evening view, Lake Ocklawaha from Kirkpatrick Dam
Camp in the pines near Penner Ponds
After crossing the St. Johns River and past the historic river district of Palatka, a rainstorm briefly douses me. Roadside live oaks provide ample opportunity to seek shelter. I buy 30+ miles of snacks at a food mart, join the Florida Trail, cross Buckman Lock and make it to camp in Ocala before dark.

Morning, northern Ocala National Forest
Near halfway, day 2
Monday, April 13: the mosquitoes are INTENSE. The air bivy keeps me alive. I head south through the northern Ocala, last seen in the dark (including panther sighting) back in December. Next stop is Store 88 complete with hot pocket (flush pocket), then westward onto the Western Corridor.

Reindeer moss 
Getting thick along Western Corridor
Marshall Swamp, between storms
The going is slow, but beautiful along the Western Corridor. I opt for a bypass on county roads as the trail gets thick and swampy. I reach a gas station and restaurant just in time as a large thunderstorm blows through. Onwards out of Ocala, I make it to camp near Santos Campground after dark.

Natural art near Santos
Trail through Spider Kingdom
Land Bridge over I-75
Tuesday, April 14: last night was wet, but morning brings a new day. Like Monday, most of today will be on trail, thanks to a wonderful resource known as the Cross Florida Greenway. I take stock in my calories and decide to push the marathon to Dunnellon nonstop and enjoy the diverse scenery.

Topography!
Trees along trail 
Ross Prairie
Rainbow River, Dunnellon
It's starting to get hot. Unlike the previous two days, the clouds are slow to arrive. I'm baking in the heat and humidity, so I take the opportunity to shower at a trail head and then swim in the Rainbow River before a late lunch at a Cuban restaurant in downtown Dunnellon.

Five miles to finish 
Sunset, Withlacoochee Bay, Gulf of Mexico
Happy to be done!
The fifteen miles on 40 from Dunnellon to Inglis are killer. With the end in sight, I forego the frequent foot pampering (wash, elevate, air, lube) and endure barking dogs to the finish. Across the canal, Lily and Uwharrie are there to welcome me to the Gulf of Mexico, in time for sunset!

7 lbs. of stuff (details here)
Map of Cross Florida Route (generated from this spreadsheet)
This was in many ways a perfect adventure for me. There is much I've yet to learn about Florida. As Thoreau has written, there is no better way to explore a place than by foot. As I wish to continue to think globally and adventure locally, I encourage you to do the same, wherever you are!

Comments

Ben Simon said…
Wow, very well done. Inspirational stuff.

Thanks!
Casseday said…
Yet another great adventure MK! Thanks for sharing.
Steve Pero said…
Nice adventure, Matt! Although, swimming in that water must have been a little freaky.
Snakes?
Keep the adventures coming...
Steve
mkirk said…
Thanks guys! Steve, I may have been more wary if it were black water. That pic doesn't do the water justice, it was crystal clear and super refreshing... The longer you're down here, the less freaky things become. Come on down!
stan said…
Bravo!