humble pie

click for interactive map of route
Yesterday afforded me opportunity to attempt a 36-mile route I'd been piecing together and ground truthing for some time. Thanks to the pioneering trail work of the local MTB community, the Round the Town Trail Run (as I call it) is nearly 90% off-pavement and provides diverse scenery on par with any I've seen in the state. It's satisfying to know such adventure is a short jog, bike, or bus ride away.

After getting out of a meeting at noon, I met Shawn at SW 13th. We promptly started the loop in the counterclockwise direction. The weather was overcast, breezy and cool. Despite perfect conditions, my lagging fitness had me hurting before halfway. By Hogtown Creek, I'd already started the sad walk. At 32 miles and 6 hours, I folded and called Lily for a pick-up, omitting the University trails.

Nothing like being served a slice of humble pie as I struggle to accept a shift in priorities. With time in limited supply, I'm grateful to Lily for letting me indulge in a belated b-day run. On a positive note, the slower I go, the less blurry the picture. Here are fourteen photos:

pano of wetlands preserve
Sweetwater singletrack
sinkhole near La Chua
no man's land 
Payne's Prairie Preserve
crossing Lake Forest Creek
Little Hatchet Lateral A 
saw palmetto and singletrack around Ironwood
into the pines
pond at headwaters of North Little Hatchet
Hogtown Creek Headwaters Park
Alfred A Ring Park
neighborhood trails along Hogtown
Loblolly Woods floodplain forest

Comments

carl & kim said…
The adventures may not increase in length or speed for a while, but you're right that there're new things to notice while slowing a bit. And there are 6 milers with a little one on your shoulders to look forward to in the not-to-distant future! Life is grand. Well done and HBD!
mkirk said…
Words of wisdom! Gracias