It’s with a broken heart that I write this obituary for my co-pilot, U-dog. She was peacefully put to sleep at home in Gainesville today after a long fight with cancer. We buried her under the shade of an oak tree in a scenic field that will one day be a longleaf pine forest near to where our tiny house once stood. It’s a good spot.
Uwharrie entered my life in December 2004 while my dad, Scott B., his dog Sierra and I were on a long training run traversing her namesake forest. I remember her as this quiet black and tan stray that hung with us for miles and miles, her athletic prowess apparent from day one. After a fruitless search for an owner, I adopted her.
Growing up, I had always wanted a dog. In those early years, Uwharrie and I grew inseparable. She accompanied me most days while I worked in the Mountain Bridge Wilderness Area as a SC state park ranger. She shared a cozy cabin with me atop Caesars Head Mountain as I housesat for a couple of years. We ran lots of trails.
Uwharrie entered my life in December 2004 while my dad, Scott B., his dog Sierra and I were on a long training run traversing her namesake forest. I remember her as this quiet black and tan stray that hung with us for miles and miles, her athletic prowess apparent from day one. After a fruitless search for an owner, I adopted her.
Growing up, I had always wanted a dog. In those early years, Uwharrie and I grew inseparable. She accompanied me most days while I worked in the Mountain Bridge Wilderness Area as a SC state park ranger. She shared a cozy cabin with me atop Caesars Head Mountain as I housesat for a couple of years. We ran lots of trails.
In her prime, U-dog was an endurance running machine. I know I’m biased, but she was the most efficient canine ultra runner I’ve ever seen. She ran countless 20-30-mile trail runs with me in the mountains and on two occasions, she covered up to 60 miles with me. Long story short: by running with her, I became a better runner.
She was also quite the accomplished hiker. Come spring equinox of 2007, we set off from Caesars Head for a 2000-mile journey to Katahdin, ME. During those six months, we endured blizzards, rain, heat, hunger, exhaustion and sore paws, but entered the North Woods as a stronger team, now of three: Lily had joined the pack!
The three of us lived together in our beloved WNC mountains for several years before moving to Gainesville, FL in 2014. Now of retirement age, Uwharrie continued running shorter distances at a slowing pace for a few more years. Near the end, she was mostly just walking. Arthritis had slowed her, but couldn’t stop her.
She was also quite the accomplished hiker. Come spring equinox of 2007, we set off from Caesars Head for a 2000-mile journey to Katahdin, ME. During those six months, we endured blizzards, rain, heat, hunger, exhaustion and sore paws, but entered the North Woods as a stronger team, now of three: Lily had joined the pack!
The three of us lived together in our beloved WNC mountains for several years before moving to Gainesville, FL in 2014. Now of retirement age, Uwharrie continued running shorter distances at a slowing pace for a few more years. Near the end, she was mostly just walking. Arthritis had slowed her, but couldn’t stop her.
Besides many crazy adventures, this hound enjoyed food. I mean, she LOVED it and coveted whatever we had cooking in the kitchen. With her gaze fixed upon us, we felt like rock star chefs, slipping on puddles of her drool as we cooked up meals. She most always got a sample, too. She had more than earned that treat with her love.
We are forever grateful that our son Silas got to share a couple of years in her company. Although old and grumpy, she was mostly sweet to Silas and he quickly grew to love her as much as we always will. We know she touched many other people’s lives and that our sadness at her loss is shared. Thank you for all your love.
And Uwharrie, thank you for all the love and memories!
We are forever grateful that our son Silas got to share a couple of years in her company. Although old and grumpy, she was mostly sweet to Silas and he quickly grew to love her as much as we always will. We know she touched many other people’s lives and that our sadness at her loss is shared. Thank you for all your love.
And Uwharrie, thank you for all the love and memories!
We will all miss your wagging tail.























Comments