 |
Route 12 (red): 39.3 miles (plus 1.5 road); 38.3 new; 9:45 Route 13 (blue): 30.3 miles (plus 1 road); 24.9 new; 7:00 |
 |
| +7,869', -7,978' |
My dad joined me for the first of what will hopefully be two trips to GSMNP in July. I've got my work cut out for me to finish the
postman before New Years. We drove up Friday evening, July 10th to our base camp for two nights at Deep Creek CG. The weather for the weekend was perfect and it was packed at the campground, but not uncomfortably so.
After breakfast, dad shuttled me to the Noland Creek TH and I got started with a 40-mile route at 7:15 am on Saturday. This section of the BMT was just as I remembered: a smooth road-grade ascent for miles. Reality set in by the time I hit the blow downs on Pole Road Creek. Along the washouts of Deep Creek, I looked forward to the high ridges.
 |
| Dad got in a solid 18 miles on Saturday |
 |
| Noland Creek meets Fontana Lake |
 |
| Beebalm blooming along Noland Creek |
 |
| Morning light |
 |
| Middle section of Deep Creek |
My electrolyte, fueling and hydration strategy was working well up to this point: a salt tab and mouthful of energy gel with 16 oz water chaser every hour. By noon, over 20 miles into the day and halfway into a 3,000+ foot climb, I found myself craving something more. Thankfully I had some jerky and cheese crackers. I was ecstatic to not have to deal with any GI issues like I did on route 11.
 |
| Ascending Mount Collins |
 |
| Panorama from Clingmans Dome |
 |
| View from Lonesome Pine Overlook, Noland Divide |
I made it to the summit of Clingmans just after 2 pm. It was beautiful and breezy up top, but also an absolute circus with an overflowing parking lot. I opted out of lingering among the crowds and jogged down the road to Noland Divide. The last five miles of this trail were wonderful to run, complete with panoramic views. I was very happy to hear that dad got to experience this section, too.
Back by 5 pm, I joined dad and soaked my tired body in Deep Creek while watching an endless parade of tubers. Bean burritos and beer by the campfire capped off the day.
 |
| +6,196', -6'584' |
 |
| Ascending Thomas Divide |
 |
| Filling up near Deeplow |
 |
| Speedy descent to Stone Pile Gap |
 |
| Indian Creek Falls |
My alarm went off at 5:30 am Sunday morning and I quietly made myself a breakfast of coffee and yogurt topped with blueberries and chia seeds. By a little after 6 am, I was shuffling up Thomas Divide. I kept up with the electrolyte, fueling and hydration routine from Saturday especially in light of the higher humidity. Upon reaching Martins Gap the first of two times this route, I was hitting a better rhythm.
The crux of the day was the climb up Sunkota Ridge. Soon I was back to enjoying the scenery along Deep Creek including a number of impressive waterfalls. My favorite would probably have to be Indian Creek Falls. Dad met me at the Deep Creek Horse TH just after 1 pm with time for another bath in the creek before the long drive east. Good times!
Comments