great smoky postman routes 14, 15 and 16

Route 14 (red): 26.8 miles; 22.2 new; 6:15
Route 15 (blue): 24.3 miles; 18.9 new; 6:15
Route 16 (purple): 13.4 miles; 13.1 new; 3:30
+7,031', -7,136'
Friday evening, July 24th, dad and I arrived at Smokemont CG and enjoyed a relaxing campfire and dinner in preparation for my ambitious attempt at a 100-mile postman weekend. Although technically three routes (separated by shuttles), my plan was to tackle them all in one continuous ~30-hour push. My last crack at something like this was probably back in 2012.

Along with dad's steadfast support, I could expect company from Derek and Mo for the back half. So at 5:40 am Saturday, I confidently started up Newton Bald from Smokemont. The humidity made its presence known in the pre-dawn darkness. After bumping into two bears, I picked up speed running down Mingus Creek and kept up a good pace along Deeplow Gap.



Little Creek Falls was a pleasant surprise. So too was the magnificent morning light filtering through the trees along Thomas Divide. Water was a bit hard to come by along this ridge. By Newton bald, I had an hour to get 6 miles to Mingus Mill TH to meet dad by noon. I bumped into Mo on his own separate route and made it to the car at 11:55 am as thunder rumbled above.

+6,249', -4,337'
My fueling, electrolyte and hydration strategy seemed adequate, but I was a bit worried about a slightly upset stomach. I managed to get some decent calories and fluids down while in the car. At 12:25 pm, I started up Kanati Fork. Three mph was a real struggle on this 2,000' climb. Thankfully I caught a second wind on the breezy and cooler upper Thomas Divide.

Miraculously missing each passing thunderstorm while in cruise control on the flats and downhills, I began thinking ahead to a midnight marathon twice over Le Conte with Derek and getting psyched. After another dry spell along Sunkota, the nausea returned and didn't subside. Instead, I became aware of another rapidly developing setback: chafing in my nether regions.

Catching a second wind on the breezy upper Thomas Divide
Shroom spotted on Sunkota
Deep Creek
View from Deep Creek TH, US-441
Fighting through wet overgrowth for miles along Deep Creek, my disposition didn't improve. By 6:40 pm, I met dad at the TH. I needed a hard reset to regain motivation to continue on into the night. I nibbled food and sipped fluids while changing clothes and applying liberal amounts of vaseline. We had yet to connect with Derek. But no worries, because I was hardly ready to go.

After waiting at Newfound Gap and sending out some unanswered texts, we drove down to Alum Cave TH and found Derek waiting for us there. By 8 pm, my stomach was still not allowing me to refuel adequately so I decided to bag the hundred mile attempt. Derek took it in stride. Mo, Derek, dad and I camped at Elkmont CG Saturday night and devised an easier route for Sunday.

+1,513', -4,902'
Derek on the AT
Flowers along Sugarland Mountain
Sugarland Mountain panorama
Looking back toward Chimney Tops
All four of us ran down Sugarland Mountain Trail, which helped tie up some loose ends for a future route. I wasn't close to feeling 100 percent, but we made decent time and enjoyed the wildflowers and panoramic views. Along the more rugged burnt section of trail, I wondered how I might've felt descending this same ridge to finish out 100 miles had I continued on into the night.

Comments