![]() |
| Route 25 (red): 25.8 miles; 24.5 new; 7:07 Route 26 (blue): 82.2 miles; 69 new; 25:05 (plus 14:15 @ BC 90) Route 27 (purple): 23.7 miles; 18 new; 11:16 |
![]() |
| +7,626', -6,450' |
Thursday, 10/22: I made my twelfth and final trip to the Smokies to finish up the Postman arriving at a busy Newfound Gap just before noon. With facemask donned and sign out, I was able to get a hitch within twenty minutes down to Alum Cave TH. The trail was a traffic jam pretty much all the way to the top, but for good reason: the fall colors were popping on a gorgeous day!
Indeed, colorful panoramas put some pep into my step and I was able to power through a second ascent over Le Conte and across the Boulevard in time for some golden hour views, which blew me away. I made it back to Newfound before needing a headlamp. This double Le Conte marathon was a very special outing, but it was also just the beginning to a remarkable five days in the park...
Friday, 10/23: after car camping, I shouldered my pack for a three-day 82-mile route across the tranquil waters of Abrams Creek and up Rabbit Creek at 8:45 am. I enjoyed the solitude along Hannah Mountain in contrast to Thursday's crowds. The view from Gregory Bald out across Cades Cove invited me to linger, but an approaching veil of rain from the southwest urged me to reconsider.
![]() |
| Cherokee Orchard awash in color (from Bull Head Mountain) |
![]() |
| Running along Boulevard |
![]() |
| Golden hour from Boulevard |
Friday, 10/23: after car camping, I shouldered my pack for a three-day 82-mile route across the tranquil waters of Abrams Creek and up Rabbit Creek at 8:45 am. I enjoyed the solitude along Hannah Mountain in contrast to Thursday's crowds. The view from Gregory Bald out across Cades Cove invited me to linger, but an approaching veil of rain from the southwest urged me to reconsider.
As the drizzle tapered off along the AT, I checked for a cell signal and received a text from Derek: he wouldn't be able to join me at BC 90 for the night, but would plan to run in early the next morning to join me before I broke camp for Saturday's remote ultramarathon loop. I arrived to camp shortly after 5 pm and enjoyed a campfire and dinnertime views out across the Eagle Creek inlet.
Saturday, 10/24: my watch alarm went off in the dark at 6 am, I could hear the sprinkles turning to steady rain on the tarp. After retrieving my bear bag, I heated water for coffee and oatmeal and was soon joined by Derek. He was happy to take a break from out of the rain under my spacious shelter. But soon it was time to go. I cached my overnight gear and we took off in the rain.
![]() |
| +16,090', -15,876' |
![]() |
| Abrams Creek tranquility |
![]() |
| Gregory Bald summit #1 |
![]() |
| View of Eagle Creek inlet from BC 90 |
![]() |
| BC 90 |
Saturday, 10/24: my watch alarm went off in the dark at 6 am, I could hear the sprinkles turning to steady rain on the tarp. After retrieving my bear bag, I heated water for coffee and oatmeal and was soon joined by Derek. He was happy to take a break from out of the rain under my spacious shelter. But soon it was time to go. I cached my overnight gear and we took off in the rain.
Thankfully the weather began to clear by Hazel Creek. We made good time to Jenkins Ridge, which started out as a gentle runnable climb. Soon we learned why Mo cursed this trail. The rollercoaster ridge was tough, but lovely. We really needed to rehydrate by Gunna Creek and took the opportunity to also have a lunch break consisting of two massive homemade burritos courtesy of Derek.
![]() |
| Hazel Creek |
![]() |
| Gentian blooming along Jenkins Ridge |
![]() |
| Ascending through the fog |
![]() |
| Rehydrating along Jenkins Ridge |
After a short stretch on the AT, we dropped down Eagle Creek, which was lit up by brilliant yellow, orange and red leaves throughout the descent. This kaleidoscope of color and a refreshing sun shower helped distract us from fifteen creek fords separating us from my cache at BC 90. With gear retrieved, we pushed on to the end of Lakeshore and out to camp at the Fontana "Hilton" tent pads across the dam.
![]() |
| Upper Eagle Creek |
![]() |
| Lower Eagle Creek |
Sunday, 10/25: Derek saw me off from the AT up Shuckstack before dawn. In turn he would drive around to Twentymile Ranger Station to pick me up while also getting in a good run over Gregory Bald. With lighter load I was able to pick up speed down Twentymile once over Shuckstack. I followed Derek's tracks up Wolf Ridge. Like Jenkins Ridge, Wolf Ridge was challenging, but also rewarding.
Once again I found myself atop Gregory Bald. With no threatening rain, I took a few minutes for a barefooted seated rest. Soon I was headed down Long Hungry Ridge amazed at the fact that I had less than 30 miles to map completion. A few slippery stones and stubbed toes sobered me right up. Derek drove me to retrieve my car at Abrams and then followed me to Greenbrier Cove for the grand finale.
![]() |
| Morning on Shuckstack |
![]() |
| Wolf Ridge |
![]() |
| Gregory Bald summit #2 |
Monday, 10/26: Adam and Kevin came out to join us for this final route, the crux of the Postman. We got started in the dark at 7:02 am from Ramsey Cascades TH after enjoying a fantastic picnic dinner including some of Kevin's delicious local cheese and stealth camping the night prior. The morning light revealed the beauty of Ramsey Cascades to us. Once at the end of the trail, the true adventure began.
Bushwhacking in the Smokies is not something to be taken lightly. I'd spent months researching this route and getting resources together to attempt it safely. Adam and I already had a taste of just how slow and challenging it could be. Movement through this terrain is measured not in miles-per-hour but hours-per-mile and is best done in experienced company, or not at all.
So instead of turning around at Ramsey Cascades, we ascended to the right of the falls bypassing a dangerous and exposed rock shelf through rhododendron. From there we mostly followed the creek for a while. Near Drinkwater Pool we made our way to the crest of Guyot Spur. To our pleasant surprise we found the ridge relatively open. By 11:11 am, we had made it to the AT!
After a celebration that was admittedly a bit premature, we set out southbound along the AT traversing the beautiful mile-high boreal spine of the Smokies for over a dozen miles. By 3 pm we were off-trail this time descending steeply from Dry Sluice Gap along Porters Creek manway. Progress slowed as each step became extra important.
![]() |
| +6,515', -6,700' |
![]() |
| Starting up Ramsey Cascades |
![]() |
| Ramsey Cascades |
![]() |
| Kevin on Guyot Spur |
![]() |
| Decompressing on AT |
After a celebration that was admittedly a bit premature, we set out southbound along the AT traversing the beautiful mile-high boreal spine of the Smokies for over a dozen miles. By 3 pm we were off-trail this time descending steeply from Dry Sluice Gap along Porters Creek manway. Progress slowed as each step became extra important.
Eventually the slope eased up and the manway became a pleasant stroll through the lush cove that I remembered from 2019. To our amazement, we even found toothwort growing up here in October. Back on trail, Porters Creek, the final miles counted down to zero by the TH. Done! 906.1 total miles in 10 days, 22 hours and 3 minutes of elapsed trail time over the course of 10 months working on this thing!
We were excited to be joined at the finish by Nancy East and Chris Ford, new record holders of the GSMNP 900! Nancy's daughter even baked a cookie cake. Postman summary post to follow.
![]() |
| High up on the AT |
![]() |
| Descending Porters Creek Manway |
![]() |
| Many thanks to Nancy and Chris! |



























Comments