![]() |
| 2011 MST route (blue) vs. 2021 MST route (red) |
Back when I ran the MST in 2011, the official route through Durham County took me along country roads before heading south on NC-50 and east along the Falls Lake Trail in Wake County. Today, Durham is one of only a handful of counties traversed by the MST where the route is 100% trail. Since moving back to NC in 2019, I've sought to do this ~46 miles of trail as a Run Across Durham (RAD).
Derek and I first took a stab at the RAD starting eastbound along the Eno River on a clear and cool morning in February, 2020. By the time we made it to the western segments of the Falls Lake Trail, we realized a fatal flaw in our plan: water levels were way up and the trail was flooded. Twenty miles in, we were navigating at times for hundreds of feet through cold water up to our waists. Mission aborted.
Two months later with the Smokies shut down and the postman on hold, I tried the RAD again: this time solo and self-supported westbound from NC-50. I made sure the trail wasn't underwater, but failed to cache enough potable water to stay hydrated on a warm and sunny spring day before leaf-out. Twenty five miles in, water was everywhere but not a drop to drink. Mission aborted.
With his perennial fitness, Adam inspired me to push the pace. We discussed how it would be nice to have a slight cushion as the day warmed. Cruising through Caleb's canteen one hour and 6.4 miles in, we knew the humidity was going to be a major threat. Adam and I started mixing some fancy high calorie, low sugar electrolyte powder into our water bottles. Fueling and fluids were dialed... Or so we thought.
By the next stop 14.2 miles in, Adam was reporting slight indigestion. I was doing okay, but had already hit up the vitamin I, drained my water and doubled my salt tabs. I kept up with liquid calories and got down a couple of gels. Dad met us around 18 miles for a surprise stop. Adam kept running while I took time to treat an emergent chafing issue, guzzle a bottle of water and nibble some foods.
Having been through this section on a previous RAD attempt, I was on autopilot and missed a new reroute that added some 2 miles. Adam had taken it and was now behind me. Local runner Jillian ran back to meet Adam while I trudged onward past the 20 mile aid and north of I-85. I was more than happy to pamper myself at the 25 mile aid. I switched shoes and socks and even got down a slice of pizza. Adam caught up.
We set out on the next section together, but soon got separated. With our pace dropping precipitously in the heinous humidity, both of us began employing our own survival tactics. Adam was more disciplined with a run-walk-run strategy while always catching me at the aid stops. Caleb started running with us at 33.5 miles in at Penny's Bend and dad agreed to meet the three of us once more at Guess Rd.
It was good to finally be along the banks of the Eno, but I was also ready to get this thing done. The goal became sub 10 hours. Caleb caught up with me and we verbally walked through the last tricky mile of the route back to the house before he dropped back to guide Adam. I pushed with what I had left to bring it home in 10:03. Adam and Caleb came in shortly thereafter. Mission accomplished.






Comments