pitchell revisited


Although 2023 hasn't been a particularly remarkable year for running for me, I still wanted try for a Pitchell finish. I hadn't been up there since my first completion in 2012. I was assured I'd be in good company with other "couch to Pitchell" runners. 

But then, out of the blue, the chatter turned crazy... Charlie would park his car atop Mt. Mitchell Friday evening, bike the BRP to Mt. Pisgah, stash his bike and run back to his car. Joe would stop at every aid to do kettlebell swings to reach 1000 by the end.

At the start (PC: Joe)

Kevin and Charlie on Shut-In

So what was I going to do to up the ante? I figured I'd eat a bunch of Taco Bell and contemplate improving upon my 14:53 PR set by my younger, fitter self. What could possibly go wrong? Kevin and I stuck to Caleb's 14:55 pace sheet all the way to FAC.

Somewhere along the way and through the night we learned about Adam's torn quadricep, which took him out of the running. But in true style, Adam stayed up through the night and next day helping others finish the journey. The help was certainly needed.

Momentum waned shortly after the FAC as my vision blurred and stomach went south. But then I bumped into Adam and Charlie parked at Ox Creek. Charlie put in a valiant effort, but ultimately had to bag his unsupported "Bitchell" attempt.

Morning light on MST (PC: Kevin)

Luke and Kevin on Lane Pinnacle

Adam filled me up with water and Charlie hooked me up with some liquid calories and hiking poles for the grind up Lane Pinnacle. Kevin and Luke caught me around here. Sunlight filtered through a colorful canopy and the conversation flowed.

Luke left us at blustery Beetree Gap. Once again we received aid from Adam and Charlie. The BRP was a circus and even the trails were crowded. But what really slowed me down were the slippery rocks and leaves on the trail from Friday's rain.

Looking across to the Blacks from MST

Beauty of Blackstock Knob

Mile after slow mile, the boreal crest of the Blacks drew nearer. I was still having a hard time with my appetite, but forced down what I could. From time to time I'd look at Caleb's pace sheet and chuckle at how far behind we'd now fallen.

Finally we were amid the spruce. At the 128 crossing I saw that we could break 17 hours, so Kevin and I picked up the pace and did exactly that. Many thanks to Adam, Patrick, Mark, Charlie, Luke, Joe, Danielle and Devin's family for the help!

At the finish

Comments