The BOK 4-hour Score-O was something I was looking forward to all year long. As mentioned in an earlier post, a personal goal of mine for 2023 was to up my orienteering game. I became fascinated with this and let maps and compasses take up way too many weekends.
As with any sport, there's a fitness factor. This year has definitely been a roller coaster with injuries, which has hindered my performance. But beyond that and more pressing to me: land navigation. Maps aren't perfect and everyone makes mistakes. How do you adapt and overcome?
It's been over a decade since he's posted, but Vladimir's blog gives some good insight into efficient orienteering. My general impression is that he's quick to pick out subtleties in topography along with other features so he can minimize his time reading map and compass for each leg.
Easier said than done, especially if you're prone to second guess and/or misread maps. But the alternative of running and reading is almost like texting and driving: not a good idea, more so when in the woods on unlevel terrain. No wonder I fared better at the Hillsborough Street-O.
 |
| Hillsborough Street-O Finish (PC: Karen) |
Having injured myself (yet again) leading up to December, I had to embrace a new strategy: rely less on brute speed and focus on minimizing mistakes. As with any score-O, my #1 goal was to clear the course, particularly on home turf in downstream Eno River State Park.
After breakfast, I took 600 mg of ibuprofen and drove to the check-in at 9:15 am. I planned to jog from home, but figured my hamstring was already going to get enough of a workout. Course director Dave was on hand along with a couple other early birds.
The weather was shaping up to be another drizzly day, great for tamping down leaves while not too chilly for the river fords. I planned my route to initially head west towards the "Eno Connector" and finish on the more familiar east side of the park.
Brian and I had similar route strategy. Given his track record, I took this as a good sign. Eventually we parted ways as I crossed the river to make my way up to Willet Rd. I used the boundary as handrail on a section of park property I'd never been on before.
I felt a little clunky and slow at first, but soon started getting into a rhythm. I tried to keep my eyes on where I was running vs. looking at the map and compass. I still took a few missteps, but all were buffered by the luxury of NSAID. Navigation went well.
Some controls had surprise snacks. At 73 I indulged in a handful of skittles, which gave me extra energy to finish up the connector. At Pleasant Green I had a strong feeling that I could clear the course in well under 4 hours, which was a huge mental boost.
Control 70 put me in check as I lost a few minutes in the bamboo jungle. My route east featured a couple long stretches cruising along the MST. I was thankful that my hamstring let me pick up the pace through here. Soon I was entering Valley Springs Park.
Talk about home turf advantage! Not only were these my backyard trails, but I'd also mapped the area earlier this year. Somehow I still managed another blooper looking for 40 on the north side of the river. I finished clearing the course in 3:27 and ~25 km.
Many thanks to Dave for another awesome event!
Comments
I've followed your blog for years, love what you've done -- a true adventurer. Excited to see you getting into orienteering, it's still my favorite.