![]() |
| Livelox replays of Loop 1, Loop 2, Loop 3, Loop 4 |
BOK's inaugural unnamed 8-hour adventure race took place at Falls Lake this Sunday. I opted to participate solely on foot with the motto "no bike, no boat, no problem." Well, maybe a slight problem: one of 45 controls would only be reachable by boat, so no runner could clear the course.
The course consisted of four loops with each participant downloading and clearing finger sticks between loops. RD Dave distributed maps for loops 1-3 to participants prior to the 10 am start. I opted to start with loop 1 as it had the most controls (20) and I assumed that it would take the most time.
Loop 1: 8.7 miles, 2:05, 18/20 controls. Neither longest in distance or time, but I fell short of clearing it. Controls 46 and 45 were in thicker vegetation and navigation proved problematic, so I left them behind. My shoes also started to fall apart around here. I switched shoes at the start/finish and continued to loop 2.
Loop 2: 11.5 miles, 2:40, 9/10 controls. This one was a doozy. On foot, I had a long way to link start/finish with the controls in the state game area to the south. I had to re-attack a couple controls in thicker vegetation, each worth 2 points so I invested extra time, but unintentionally skipped outlier control 79.
Loop 3: 8 miles, 1:51, 6/10 controls. Another long out-and-back with one permitted crossing point of Hwy 50. I was feeling my lack of endurance training around here and suffered a severe cramp in my adductors at control 59, which put me on the ground for a couple minutes. I set the goal to be on loop 4 by 5 pm.
Loop 4: 1.3 miles, 0:23, 2/5 controls. I now ate the pickles and cheese that I should've carried on loop 3 and also realized my mistake of backloading too much time for this relatively low-scoring loop: only 5 controls worth 1 point each. Oh well, I was already spent and honestly pretty happy with my effort.
Postscript: I ended up visiting 35 of 45 controls in about 7 h25m running 29.5 miles and scoring 50 points. The weather was fantastic and the course superb. I'm super-grateful to Dave for putting in all the hard work to make this thing happen. It's so nice to have an 8-hour adventure/rogaine nearby!
Results posted here.

Comments