umstead score-o

 Livelox replays for 2-hour and 4-hour.

BOK's annual score-o took place this Sunday. This year's venue was Umstead State Park. The weather was fantastic and I'm happy to report that I was able to clear the course. I wasn't the fastest runner to clear it, that honor belongs to Phil Tosteson.

No doubt Phil is evolving into an orienteering beast. He's fast and can recover quickly from mistakes. By contrast, I made two big mistakes in the first half along with several smaller ones mostly in the second half (probably due to the onset of fatigue).

Looking back at livelox, it appears Phil and I chose very similar routes to clear the course. Thus I see that we were pretty close to each other with pacing up until my first big mistake about 30 minutes in at 534 where I had to make multiple attacks.

It's probably just my imagination, but it looks like maybe I was catching back up before my second big mistake at about 2 hours: unbeknownst to me, I dropped my finger stick while crossing a deeply eroded creek between 246 and 355.

I didn't realize I was without said finger stick until I was almost upon 355. Expletives were used. Amazingly, I backtracked and found it in about 10 minutes. The mental toll was a bigger blow. I now had to consider triaging controls.

Thankfully, despite the several aforementioned errors on the back half, I didn't have to give up on any controls. The highlight of the day was sharing this event with my dad, who got his feet wet with orienteering. He may be hooked!

Me and dad. Thanks to RD Dave for the photo and event!

Comments