The Umstead State Park, Every Single Trail FKT enticed me as a local challenge on nostalgic trails. I particularly liked the "choose your own route" aspect of it and wondered if the lowest mileage map had yet been set. I found that I could trim 1.5 miles by taking two short bushwhacks.
The goal was to lower the FKT by at least 20 minutes to help squash any notion that this was done by shortened route alone. This would mean running 35 miles in just over 5 hours. Easier said than done as over 20 of these miles would be on a roller coaster of rocky and rooty single track.
BOK events offered me a chance to practice going off-trail in the park. I also did a couple scouting runs on unfamiliar trails. The logistics brought back memories of my Great Smoky Postman project. I was excited to get to spend a day running in the woods, a nice birthday gift from Lily.
Weekends brought consecutive snow events. Umstead faced delayed openings, or closures. Antsy to get this done, I decided to give it a shot once the park was confirmed open on Saturday, January 29th. Though there was only a dusting of snow, the wind and 30 degree temps were challenging.
Friends and family followed me on a real-time GPS tracker app, but around halfway it seemed to stop. I scrambled to open another GPS tracker on my phone for verification. Around this time I bonked pretty hard. I figured I didn't have enough calories to keep on pace, so I quit at 23 miles.
As soon as I got some food in me I felt better. I decided to write off the attempt as a good long training run and made plans to try again the following weekend, weather permitting. This time I would be sure to pack enough fuel. I'd also be sure to use a more trustworthy GPS app for my phone...
| Take two, 2/5/22 |
Dad dropped me off at the start around 8:30 am on Saturday, February 5th. Forecast: sunny, highs in the 40s. I thought an earlier start would mean fewer people on the trails, but I was wrong. Although it was good to see so many folks enjoying the day, I was slowed and ended up chatting a bit.
Nevertheless, I stayed ahead of pace and did a better job with fueling and hydration. I took advantage of a steep climb on North Turkey Creek to eat some solid food washed down with an electrolyte drink. Then to my dismay, I discovered the GPS track on my phone appeared spotty. Deja Vu.
Oh well, I was feeling good. It was time to finish this thing. I decided to snap selfies at intermittent landmarks along the route to supplement what meager breadcrumbs showed on my tracker. I stayed positive and made it to the Sycamore TH right on pace with less than 10 miles to go.
My legs started cramping at the Campground Spur turnaround, I took a salt tab, caffeinated gel and drained my water. I refilled one last time at the water spigot at Big Lake and crossed over the dam. I nailed the second and last bushwhack from Group Camp Rd up to the Graylyn parking area.
At the Graylyn Gate turnaround, I really felt like I was on the homestretch. Too bad my legs no longer felt like running any faster. Good thing gravity could take over on Cedar Ridge. This was my first time on this trail and it was a great way to finish this challenge. I'm super thankful to have done it!
The GPS track was more intact than it appeared on my phone, so no ugly selfies necessary. The distance was closer to 35 miles, the official time was 5:15:34. FKT editors rejected my submission due to bushwhacking, which I contend was the wrong decision. Update: 5:30, sans bushwhack.
NC state park postal runs:
Comments