Stone Mountain State Park sits on the edge of the Blue Ridge an hour west of Winston-Salem, NC. Besides its namesake granite pluton, there are waterfalls, a homestead and plenty more to explore. It has a postman route of about 30 miles and 6,000 to 7,500' of climbing (depending on your direction of travel).
![]() |
| rhodo blooms along MST |
![]() |
| ferns near Widows Creek |
The first reality check came 5 miles in with a steep climb to campsite D along Widows Creek. This was followed by hot temperatures at lower elevations in the park. I carried a water filter, but in the interest of time hoped to fill exclusively from water spigots. The first one was at the Lower TH at 13 miles.
Before I could refill I had to get over Wolf and Cedar Rocks under a blazing sun. My pace dropped through here to keep from redlining. I really enjoyed the views, but missed the turn for the out-and-back on Wolf Rock and had to go back. I doused my head, chugged a few bottles and tried to regain focus.
Fueling strategy consisted mostly of liquid calories, but the mix wasn't dissolving well on the go and clogged my bite valves. I still felt like I was getting electrolytes and carbs in at a reasonable rate. My legs just weren't up to the task of charging up Stone Mountain. I passed the summit 15 miles in at 3 hours.
![]() |
| Stone Mtn. from Cedar Rock |
![]() |
| Pano from Stone Mtn. |
![]() |
| Lower Falls |
Whether because of imminent storm, or just that this corner of the park is less popular, I didn't see anyone after leaving Lower Falls and starting on the bridle trail system. For the most part the trails through here were in good shape and on milder terrain. Some sections were overgrown. Some dragged on a bit.
Then the skies opened up with lightning and thunder and a drenching downpour with about 7 miles to go. It was just the jolt I needed to keep grinding out the final 500' climb. The rain let up near the end. I finished in 5:55:40. I jogged it in to join my family at the campground feeling tired, but happy.
NC state park postal runs:
.gif)









Comments