old skool 8-hour adventure

The "Month of Dave" continued this Sunday with the now named "Old Skool" BOK Adventure Race. I enjoyed running it for the first time last fall. This year was at a different venue: Lake Crabtree and Umstead. The weather was fantastic and Dave did a great job with the organization and execution.

Last year I did the AR all on foot. Since I'm not completely healed of a foot injury, I figured I needed to add a discipline and off load miles to bike. This was a good call as I definitely felt my injury. BUT, I also experienced some interesting cramping locations from the biking, which were new to me.

I also learned that I'm not that skilled of a singletrack rider. Nonetheless, it was good to get off of my feet and keep the race going, even if it meant that I wasn't able to clear the course. You see, some CPs on loop 3 were accessible only to boat, or racers solely on foot. But I was already low on time...

Earlier, I wasted 30 minutes on my first attempt at a bonus CP (50) hidden on a 900 m path. Some transitions were also sluggish. I didn't realize my time crunch until I'd escaped the bike trail spaghetti maze on my last loop (3). Somehow I thought I could fit in two more CPs. No such luck: late penalty.

bonus line-o control
 blue = failed attempt on loop 4
yellow = successful attempt on loop 3

I'm thankful for a first place finish. It was a tight race with Kevin and Vladimir, which was fun. Kudos to them. Thanks to Dave for another great event. Maybe next year I'll add a boat? Stats: 8h2m, 27/31 CPs, 43.6 miles, 4404' climb. Livelox replay here. Ready or not: Fall Frenzy 50+!



Comments