wildcat recap

My route data: ~44 miles, ~12.5K' climb, 94/94 CPs; red = Sat; blue = Sun

The eighth annual Winter Wildcat Rogaine happened this past weekend. Last year was my first time at this awesome event and I foolishly attempted it as a 24-hour in suboptimal weather. Conditions were better this year, but still challenging: rain on Sunday plus LOTS of slippery ice.

In fact, Mark broke his shoulder slipping on the ice Friday before the start. This drove home his recommendation for micro spikes, which I thankfully had. Risk of new injuries coupled with dubious fitness coming off of an old injury made me back down from another 24-hour attempt.

Goal #1 was no new injuries. I wanted to see if I could clear the course in two days, which I did despite conservative AKA careful pace plus some mistakes. The biggest was accidentally skipping 95 on Saturday, which cost me an hour on Sunday. Two other sloppy legs cost me about 10 minutes.

I enjoyed the memory, blank and especially the draw challenge, which I ran out of time and couldn't do last year. Even with a terrible drawing, I nailed the navigation to these controls. Overall, I'm really thankful and happy with my performance placing a distant third. Congrats to Kevin and Jesse!

Kevin is poised to give the Birkhead Unplugged a go at the end of February. That should be interesting!

On the draw

Comments